-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Everything you need to know: the seniors’ advice!

My Top Five Tips

1. High school is definitely not like what you see in movies. 2. Do not listen when you hear that freshman year does not count- it does. 3. Search the Internet for an extra set of textbooks to keep at home- the less you have to carry the better. Amazon sells them for less than $10 4. Try to leave as little as possible for the morning. Make sure you have everything you need for school the night before- charge your cell phone, layout your clothes. When you are waking up at 7 a.m. the less you have to think about the better. 5. It is possible to fall UP the stairs. Trust me, I have done it. Everyone has had an embarrassing moment; just be sure to laugh it off and walk away- it happens!

Most importantly, be yourself! Freshman year may seem scary, but I promise that everything will work out and before you know it, you will be stuck in your toughest year, junior year, wishing you could go back to freshman year.  –Peyton Grenley – Editor-in-Chief

First Day of School

I know what you’re thinking: summer is over and the nine month period of nail-biting quizzes, endless tests, torturous projects and all-night study sessions is now beginning. The best advice I can give you to get through not only today, but everyday for the next four years, is to hold your head up high, take one day at a time and not believe everything people tell you. Trust yourself and know that today marks the beginning of a four year journey that will be what you make of it. There is no right or wrong way to get through your first day; the point is that you get through it. We have all been exactly where you are right now. Do not waste your time being afraid. Instead, enjoy every minute of making new friendships, learning new things and going to school events. Because when your are nearing the end, as I am, and you reach your final day of senior year, you will look back and hope that you have made it all worthwhile.  –Yvonne Tarrab – Editor-in-Chief

Time Management

As the summer fades and the school year begins, anxiety and stress start to fill the air.  Classes commence and assignments pile high while students adjust from the relaxation of summer to a fast-paced learning environment.  For incoming freshman, there is nothing to fear.  With the right time management, this daunting process of adjustment melts into a piece of cake. The most important thing to remember is to never procrastinate! In order to get your work done on time, you must prioritize and compartmentalize. Trust me, I learned the hard way. When you feel stressed during the school year, a piece of paper and a pen become your two best friends.  If assignments and obligations start overflowing, transferring them onto paper can help you calm down and form a plan of action.  This leaves you with an even head and way more time for extracurricular activities and things you want to do.  When in doubt, just pencil it out. • – Taylor St. Ives/Features Editor 

Teachers and Upperclassmen

One golden piece of advice that I have for all of you is: do not be afraid to ask anyone for help. Although upperclassmen may seem big and intimidating, they have been in your shoes and know exactly where you are coming from and what you are going through. If you need help finding a class or working out a homework problem, an upperclassman would love to lend a hand. When I was a freshman, I was scared to approach my teachers or ask any questions. I have learned over the years that asking for help is the best thing to do. I can promise you that the teachers do not bite; their job is to guide you through your four years in high school. They want you to do your best and are here to lead you in the right direction for success. Be sure to challenge yourself and introduce yourself to your teachers or approach  an upperclassmen and ask them any questions you have.  –Kunal Aggarwal – Opinion Editor

Clubs

Hey all you new high schoolers! I know high school can seem intimidating at first, but do not be afraid to get involved right from the start. There is no better way to find your passion and get involved than by joining a club. When I was a freshman, I got over-excited at the first Club Rush and signed up for 10 clubs. With such a variety of options, it can be very difficult to choose just a few. Though I had to narrow down my choices, it just shows that there is a lot to do on campus everyday. Everything from Habitat for Humanity to Cookies for Cancer to the Gay-Straight Alliance, there is a club for everyone. If you cannot find one you love, you can always create your own! Oftentimes, clubs will be some of the best memories you will have of high school. They  will not only provide you with community service opportunities but also with new friends and fun experiences. In the end, this is what high school is all about.  –Julia Shapiro – Opinion Editor

The Best Part of Freshman Year

Despite what you have seen in Mean Girls, freshman year may not seem “so fetch” at first glance. Stuck trying to figure out your place in high school, you will find yourself thinking about anything but school. Whether you are captain of the Mathletes (Kevin G.), the quarterback of the football team (Aaron Samuels) or just trying to fit in (Cady Heron), it is not always easy to find your place in high school. However, the best part of freshman year is finding your niche, something you cannot get enough of! Join a sports team or audition for the school play- whatever you want to try, this is the time to go for it. I finally found my place with the school newspaper. For me, room H-214 was not only my home away from home, but it was also a place for me to grow creatively. Take advantage of the leeway that comes with freshman year and find what you really enjoy! Sorry, no advice for Gretchen Weiners. • – Lida Dianti/Features Editor 

Pep Rallies

Think GREEN class of 2016! With performances from the cheer team and dance team, fun games like sumo wrestling and two very spirited pep commissioners who pump up the crowd, pep rallies will always be a blast. Be sure to dress up, or else you will look like the odd one out, trust me. Don’t be embarrassed to show support for your class! And even if you are, I can promise I will be dressed crazier than you and so will half the school. The more dressed up you are, the better. Not sure what to wear? Girls, a green top, shorts and a pair of thigh high green socks are a perfect combination. Guys, don’t think girls are the only ones who dress up at rallies.  A green t-shirt and basketball shorts will do. It’s a day filled with fun, and, even better, shorter classes. So, go all out, represent your class and leave your spirit mark on CHS, freshies. But remember, seniors rock the house! • – Casey Tamkin/Entertainment Editor

Organization

In your first few months at CHS, you will likely have a million things to think about, and color-coded post-it notes may fall through the cracks. However, staying organized is the first piece of advice I would give to all incoming freshmen. In your first semester of high school, make sure you create a system for storing all of your papers in binders or folders, because I can personally attest that the “I will just stick it in a notebook and find it later” system does not work effectively. I also recommend that you buy your own copies of the required English reading books so that you can highlight to your heart’s content, and stock up on post-its and pens as soon as possible. While color-coded notes, a well-organized binder and a large supply of mechanical pencils may not guarantee you success in high school, staying organized will definitely take some of the stress out of your freshman year.  –Emily Glavin – News Editor