Propositions on the November ballot concern California education

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






On Nov. 6 Californians voted on Propositions 30 and 38, which proposed tax increases to fund public education. Proposition 30 was passed while Proposition 38 was rejected.

Proposition 30

z

Because of Proposition 30, sales taxes will be raised, but the funds will go to public schools. I think this is important because California was ranked as one of the best in education, but I know that number has lowered. – Junior Z Wang

Proposition 30, the Sales and Income Tax Increase Initiative, was passed Nov. 6.  The goal of the proposition is to raise state tax revenues about $6 billion annually from 2012 through 2017.  The additional funds will be distributed among public schools and community colleges throughout California.  Over the past five years, the public education budget has been cut by more than $20 billion, more than 40,000 educators have been laid off and average class sizes in California have become the largest in the country.  The proposition regulates that 89 percent of the money raised from the increased sales tax will be allocated to K-12 schools, and the remaining 11 percent will be allocated to community colleges.  Because the proposition passed, California’s income taxes will be raised one to three percent over the next seven years depending on annual earnings.  Proposition 30 guarantees that any planned spending reductions for education programs will not occur in the 2012-2013 year.  Many supporters of the proposition are teachers and education-affiliated personnel.  According to www.ballotpedia.org, supporters of Proposition 30 raised over $51 million while those who opposed it raised  $30 million.

Written by Evan Krask – Staff Writer and Photo by Sam Cohen – Photographer

Proposition 38

student

Proposition 38 has an individualized approach and lets school districts decide how to spend the funds because they know what they need.  It proportionally taxes people in a way that is appropriate. – Senior Katherine Kepski

On Nov. 6, Californians rejected Proposition 38, officially titled the Tax to Fund Education and Early Childhood Programs, in a 73-27 percent vote.  The proposition was a state income tax to increase the funding of public education.  While Proposition 38 was not the first proposition aimed at helping fund public education, it was the first that prohibited the state from directing new funds.  The proposition kept the majority of the money specifically allocated to public education and early learning programs instead of allowing state legislators to use the funds for other areas of their choosing.  The tax would have been added to California residents’ income tax for the next 12 years, and low-income families would have had to pay minimal amounts.  For the first four years after the tax would have been instituted, 60 percent of the money raised would have gone to K-12 schools, 30 percent to repaying state debt and 10 percent to early childhood programs.  The proposition was an attempt to repair the damage recent budget cuts have inflicted on the public school system. Because Proposition 38 was defeated, the Las Virgenes Unified School District will still face considerable budget cuts for the 2013-2014 school year.

Written by Allie Barnes – Staff Writer and Photo by Lauren Sloan – Photo Editor

Print Friendly, PDF & Email