Keep the refrigerator a bread-free zone

Gianna Dallman - Staff Writer, Photo by Ben Elkayam - Photographer

Since the dawn of time, arguments pertaining to the storage of bread have been a passion-filled feat. While some believe that bread should be shoved into a cold, sad refrigerator, informed people know that bread should be stored at room temperature. The craft of making a perfect loaf of bread should not be tainted by its eventual storage. Bread deserves a warm and cozy environment, not a frigid tundra. Scientific evidence, important food publications and chefs, and the overall bias toward room temperature treatment of bread from fellow members of the Calabasas Community, support the idea that bread should not be refrigerated. The answer to how one should store bread shockingly simple, leave it out and let it be.

Scientific evidence backs up the argument of room temperature bread storage as well. Due to the low temperatures in refrigerators, recrystallization, or the process of freezing, begins within bread immediately. The bread’s atoms begin to slow and cluster, reducing the volume and capacity of air vents that are responsible for for making bread soft and fluffy. The fridge also increases the possibility of dry bread. Serious Eats Magazine explains that, when refrigerated, bread loses moisture and elasticity three times faster than if it were to be left at room temperature. This further proves that room temperature bread is best.

Another important account comes from world renowned chef and restaurateur Anthony Bourdain. Bourdain states that bread should be kept either on a kitchen counter or in a “bread drawer,” no where near the refrigerator due to the potential to ruin the bread’s chewy texture. Undoubtedly, there are few who prefer to have dry, lifeless bread when one could just leave their loafs out and have chewy, wonderful bread.

In a poll of 40 CHS students, 32 agreed that bread deserves a home away from the refrigerator. In Calabasas, bread is a staple in most diets, whether it be when families head to The Commons for dinner, or when students need a quick snack. The utter importance that bread is treated with dignity in Calabasas is pivotal. While some may argue that refrigerating bread is beneficial to prevent molding, it makes much more sense to just purchase a smaller amount of bread so that consumption happens in a faster amount of time, decreasing the probability of molding in the first place while also saving money.

In the end, it is apparent that there is absolutely no reason to refrigerate bread. The potential to destroy the natural beauty and taste of bread is far too great of a risk. The simple solution of room temperature storage is far more sensible and clearly the answer to this pressing debate.