-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Armed guards at CHS; reassures some, worries others

Caitlin Brockenbrow

With a combination of increased gun violence in America and issues of fighting, vaping, and truancies at CHS, administration made the decision to increase security on campus. 

“We needed the extra support to combat three things: vaping, keeping students in class and keeping the student body safe during high traffic times like nutrition and lunch – preventing things such as fighting,” said CHS Assistant Principal of Student Safety, Facilities and Athletics Tyler Lee.

The members of security on campus derive from security companies Covered 6 and Quest National Security. Covered 6 has been on district campuses since last school year, while Quest partnered with the district at the beginning of October. 

“We have one [or] two Covered 6 [guards] depending on the day. There’s always one, but, for extra support, we sometimes have two,” stated Lee. “Quest, we had five during the month of October and we’re going to have 2 continuing for the rest of the year.”

Around campus, Covered 6 officers are armed with guns. This followed discussions about campus safety throughout the district. 

“We’re fortifying the campuses differently than we have in past years, based on recommendations from law enforcement, safety audits,” said Assistant Superintendent of Student Services Angie Falk. 

Covered 6’s carrying of arms has caused debate among students over whether or not having guns make the school safer. Some students have felt more comfortable with private security carrying guns around campus. 

“One of my biggest fears in life is a school shooting,” said sophomore Dylan Baer. “If [security] are armed on campus and we have a security team I’ll feel safer on campus.”

Other students have stated feeling both uncomfortable and unsafe knowing guns are being carried at Calabasas High. They believe the weapons can cause more danger than not, and fear what a gun at school can cause. 

“I feel as if arming school security guards will introduce more problems than it will solve. I would be uncomfortable with such a thing,”  said sophomore Dante Gostar. 

“The decision was made by all parties to allow Covered 6 to carry concealed weapons,” said Falk. “ Discussions with cabinet, the board of education, the sheriffs office and our internal safety audit.”

Administration has acknowledged the opinions of students on this matter, but they believe that the armed guards are helping keep the campus safe. 

“[Any] feeling is valid, the beautiful thing about our nation is that we are able to freely voice our opinions on different issues, no matter what issue it is, in a respectful way. It’s unfortunate that the society we live in necessitates increased security and that feeling for safety,” said Lee.

“If someone told me that they are uncomfortable with that, I would say that I understand what they are feeling. But know that those that have it are trained at the highest level for that specific role – to keep our students safe.”