-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Potential Python class at CHS

Ellie Bloom

Five years ago, Calabasas High School introduced AP Computer Science Principles to the computer science program. While the program has since been untouched, Ms. Ranieri and Mr. Yeung are anticipating the addition of another class focused on Python programming. 

“Mr. Yeung and I have a vision of expanding the computer science program here at Calabasas High School,” said Computer Science Principles Teacher Ms. Ranieri. 

Prior to 2019, all that was offered in the computer science program was AP Computer Science A, where students learned how to use the Java programming language. The introduction of AP Computer Science Principles broadened the computer science curriculum, introducing a different programming language called Javascript. Now, Ranieri and Yeung are looking into Python programming to add it to next year’s course catalog. 

“The biggest difference between the new Python course and the other ones is that it is not [an Advanced Placement course], it would just be a general elective,” said Ranieri. 

Python is a popular new programming language commonly used in the computer science field. Knowledge of this language would provide students with a wide variety of professional options, including data science, web and app development, financial advising, and project management. Unlike Javascript and Java, Python reads very similarly to English, making it an easy-to-learn language. 

“Hopefully if we eventually get to add Python… [students] could learn a third language in high school, which would be super valuable for the future,” said Ranieri. 

Students should expect to see Python as a year-long elective course with the opportunity to learn about topics like turtle graphics, basic Python interaction, conditionals, strings, data structures, etc. The class will most likely run off of a platform similar to code.org, the website used for AP Computer Science Principles, and will involve projects. 

Python programming is available to all students as a beginner-level course. Students with previous knowledge of computer science or students who have taken other computer science courses can still enroll as it uses a completely different programming language. 

District approval runs on student interests. A form is available for students to demonstrate interest in this course. 

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScJqhwxojg-ejMCQIONaX9L9c142T_3IcnI8u568ymTbL-jsg/viewform