-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Comfort vs. fashion on campus

Kylee Barnaj

There are so many students at Calabasas, each with different senses of style that they gravitate towards. Nowadays there are so many options of what to wear and different aesthetics inspiring people’s style. This raises the question of which is more popular on the CHS campus: comfort or fashion? 

Sophomore Maia Kohanim thinks more people at school dress for comfort while putting their own spin on it. 

“More people dress for comfort but they incorporate fashion as well. They get matching sweat suits and sets,” said Kohanim. “They’re both comfortable and fashionable so it’s a blend in between.”

Sophomore Phoebe Tepper also claims that dressing for comfort is more popular at CHS. Although, she believes there’s a larger reason behind this besides just being comfy at school. 

“It’s way more popular, not because of the physical comfort it brings but because it’s within their comfort zone,” said Tepper. “I think people want to blend in and be normal instead of being out there.” 

Personally, Kohanim dresses for comfort over fashion. 

“At CHS, it’s normalized to be comfortable and wear baggy clothes like sweatpants to school. I dress for comfort while also making it cute,” said Kohanim.

The art teacher, Ms. Lynch, also agrees with the notion of comfort being more popular while adding a stylish spin on it.

“Comfort is in. So dressing comfortably is stylish,” she commented. “After covid, kids would wear pajama pants. Now, they still dress comfortably, but it’s an elevated step up from that. So we’re still comfy, but cute at the same time.” 

Another student, junior Mariam Ahmad, states she dresses for fashion. 

“I wear things for myself and what makes me happy,” Ahmad said. 

Tepper says she also dresses for fashion. 

“I dress for fashion, but more so for self-expression. I like to step outside my comfort zone,” explained Tepper. 

Similar to Tepper’s idea of people staying in their comfort zone, Kohanim wishes people put more effort in how they dress at school. The way most people dress at school seems to influence other students. 

“I wish people dressed differently than they do, myself included,” stated Kohanim. “I don’t try at school because I don’t see people trying at school. There’s less people that try than those who do. If more people dressed up then I would too. but I feel like I don’t have a reason to dress up.” 

Tepper expresses her desire for personal style to be embraced at CHS. 

“I wish people would express themselves more,” explained Tepper. “I wish we didn’t judge people on what they wear but instead appreciate it.”

It seems that for some people, dressing comfortably isn’t just about being cozy at school. It’s also about what’s been popularized by the majority of students. 

“When I used to try wearing comfortable clothes like my friends, it just didn’t suit my body type and personality,” explained Tepper. “I instead started wearing what makes me feel good instead of trying to be like everyone else. I began finding my own sense of fashion.” 

Ahmad thinks people should wear what they want to and what best represents them; whether that be dressing for fashion or more comfortably. She dresses in a way that shows her interests. 

“I’m influenced to dress the way I do from the music I listen to. 1960’s, 50’s, and a lot of 70’s. I look at pictures and the media from back then and I really appreciate how they dress,” Ahmad stated. 

It’s fun to dress up for school, whether that be wearing a cute yet comfortable outfit or wearing something that expresses your personality. What matters most is that students wear what makes them confident and happy.