-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Opinion: Colleges need better security

Opinion: Colleges need better security
Caitlin Brockenbrow

Violence, both verbal and physical, is running rampant on college campuses. From the increased amount of antisemitic activity to the 31,137 reported criminal offenses U.S. colleges saw in 2021, there is no question that something needs to be done to make these havens of learning a safe place to do just that. One of the best solutions, though it can not act alone, is to increase security on college campuses.

As of 2019, 24 states had no private colleges or universities with sworn authority on site with nearly 5% of the private institutions with this security being unarmed. This is not a particularly alarming statistic, but this becomes incredibly concerning when considering that most U.S. colleges and universities, unlike many primary schools, are open to the public.

One of the biggest college rivalries is UCLA vs. USC. This resulted in the annual attempt to vandalize the other’s mascot before their rival game, leading to both statues needing physical protection to ward off thieves and vandals. While this is largely harmless fun to show school pride, one has to wonder where the line is. Despite the extra security measures to protect the statues, there are still successful vandals. What else gets by if a crime as predictable as the UCLA vs. USC mascot sabotage cannot be stopped?

Apart from minimizing vandalism and theft, increased security could also help with the substance abuse problems that run rampant through college campuses. At the time of the 2022 National Survey on Drug Use and Health, 49% of college students 18-22 reported having drunk alcohol in the past month with 28.9% having engaged in binge drinking. While eliminating drug and alcohol use on college campuses is a futile goal, increased security could at the very least help intoxicated individuals from outside harm, potentially even decreasing such behavior on campus to avoid legal trouble from underage drinking.

In terms of security, more than physical authority is needed for college campuses. In the age of the Internet, education is almost entirely dependent on technology, meaning that colleges need to increase their cybersecurity. In the first quarter of 2023, educational institutions saw the highest number of cyberattacks at around 2,507 attempts weekly at colleges and universities, a 15% increase from the same time the year prior. With the vast amounts of personal data schools keep, schools must improve their cybersecurity measures to protect their students and staff’s academic and personal information from data breaches.

Even if increased security measures realistically proved to do nothing for a college, the simple presence of authority could prove to be effective. Just by feeling safe, even if in reality they are no better protected than before, students’ mental health could improve as could the reputation of the institution for caring about safety, overall making the school more attractive to prospective families and staff.

College visitors, students and staff all need to be protected. The best way to accomplish this is through and above all else, increasing security.