-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Opinion: Apple Music vs. Spotify

Caitlin Brockenbrow

Ever since the first record player was released in 1895, music of all genres has been accessible to the general public. Music holds so much power over the human mind. It can calm, excite, entertain and even teach the brain. Research has indicated that music has the potential to alleviate anxiety, lower blood pressure, and alleviate pain, while also enhancing the quality of sleep, mood, mental alertness, and memory. The rise of streaming platforms allows an opportunity to enjoy a larger variety of music. By having two leading streaming platforms, Spotify and Apple Music, the question of the best platform is bound to come up.

Apple Music:

I have been a devout Apple music listener for years. I tried my hand at Spotify for the free 7-day trial plan and it is safe to say I felt no need to continue my subscription. At the core of every streaming platform is the users listening experience. After getting used to the immersive experience of spatial audio and head detection I could now revert to a plain side-by-side sound experience. 

Apple Music is an online streaming platform that offers over 100 million songs and 30,000 playlists. When deciding on what platform to buy two of the biggest options to consider are Spotify or Apple Music. In the opinion of someone who desires a clean polished look, Apple Music’s color scheme and layout make for an organized user-friendly interface. One’s first thought may be which platform is less expensive but both platforms offer a subscription of $10.99 per month. That being said, Spotify has a free version that limits skipping songs per hour and is not add-free. This option is widely known as a very frustrating and ineffective version. 

As a consequence of offering a completely free version, Spotify pays its artists drastically less than what Apple Music offers per stream. Spotify varies from around $0.03 to $0.07 per stream. The company offers royalties that stay in the range of $0.01 per stream. Because of this, Apple Music is undeniably a better choice for anyone who values artists being able to make a living off of their music through online streams. If you are paying for Spotify premium you are paying the same amount of money for a platform that not only offers fewer amenities but also refuses to support paying a livable wage to its artists.

Relying on music to make a living is difficult as is but to be paid $238 for 100,000 streams on Spotify would hardly cover a water bill in California let alone rent or food. 

Both platforms come with very similar features with Apple Music mainly focusing on music whereas Spotify also offers a variety of audiobooks and podcasts. Apple Music shows its listeners how much they value the listener experience by releasing new features that offer recommended stations and songs that grow as the listeners’ music tastes change. Although Spotify also offers a similar feature. Apple Music also makes singing along with songs even more appealing with its sing-along feature. This feature allows control over the volume of the vocals and real-time lyrics. Spotify does not offer this feature.

As for the social aspect, Apple Music allows users to connect with other people by adding people from your contacts.  This includes access to other playlists and what your friends are currently listening to.

A survey of 40 CHS students and Calabasas locals had an overwhelming ratio of 10-2 Spotify users to Apple Music users. While Spotify is the more popular choice since Apple Music offers drastically more small features that make the app very satisfying for the user’s experience, more people should give the service a chance. All in all, Apple Music is the more well-rounded and ethically stronger option.

Spotify:

Spotify is a fantastic online music streaming platform with an extensive library of over 100 million tracks, 5 million podcasts, and 350,000 audiobooks. My family has been loyal Spotify users since I can remember. I was lucky enough to get a Spotify premium account, which means I can listen to hours of music without any interruption from ads.

One of the most impressive features of Spotify is how it creates personalized playlists for each user. I use the “Daylist” application quite often, as it usually gives me great song suggestions. A lot of the time, I use their picks to add to the 40+ playlists (though not all are public) I’ve created.  The titles of the playlists can be quite creative, to say the least. Last night, I received one called “Hot Chocolate and Stargazing Musical Night”. Strange, but I loved the songs it chose.

As for the personalization aspect, Spotify surpasses all its competitors. On my account, you’ll see the various playlists I’ve made based on a book, a TV show, a fictional media couple, or simply just based on a mood. One of my current favorites is my “I was feeling epic” playlist- which is based on the show “The Vampire Diaries”. I also love my “Soundtrack to My Life” which is just a handful of songs I’ve loved over the years or that remind me of certain memories. 

Two of my favorite things about making playlists on Spotify are that you can change the cover photo so it looks pretty (which is something I’ll always enjoy because it looks so organized), and the suggestion box on the bottom of each playlist. Spotify takes all the songs already on the playlist and gives you suggestions based on the playlist’s vibe. And once you’ve finished all the songs, Spotify shuffles through its database and plays “Recommended Songs for You”- so you can expand your music taste. I’ve developed a real taste for indie rock/pop music because of it.

I also love the feature where you can type song lyrics into the search bar, and Spotify shuffles through options to find the songs that match the lyrics. It’s very helpful, especially when there’s a song stuck in your head and you can’t remember the name.

Another thing I love about Spotify (am I a broken record yet? I think I am) is the feature that allows me to make collaborative playlists with my friends. Being an avid theater kid, I spend a lot of time with my friends backstage at a show. Sitting there for hours would be very boring without music. For every show I do, I send out a collaborative playlist, and we all add to it. That way, everyone gets to hear a song they love while we get ready. 

Now, I could rave about Spotify for a long time. In fact, I did. Although Spotify is an incredible streaming platform, Apple Music has superior sound quality and artist royalty payments. Ultimately, the choice between the two platforms comes down to personal preference and priorities. 

My Spotify Link:

https://open.spotify.com/user/katiehummel6?si=39e39bec045b47e0