-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Opinion: Pride Month at CHS

Caitlin Brockenbrow

Pride month has come and with that, we want to have fun and celebrate. There is so much excitement to it but there is also a downside to it. Throughout the years, Pride Month has been celebrated here at CHS, but it has taken a turn with students damaging pride flags and harassing other students. This year there will not be any decorations due to everything that has happened in the past. This is not the solution.

Fun excitement celebration comes with celebrating Pride but horrible actions like this may happen because of disagreements or just for some cruel form of fun. People do many things that can be hurtful, harmful, and damaging, but we must also help prevent these things from happening.

Here at CHS, we can try different things to stop students from disrupting a Pride Month celebration. For example, the pride flags that are typically placed on the lawn by the front gate can be put in higher places so they are out of reach from students who want to take them. Posters and decorations can also be placed where people can see them but not touch them so that CHS is demonstrating Pride without allowing for the defacing of Pride flags, etc.

Furthermore, since CHS has more security, they can help catch people who damage the decorations and flags. They can also help prevent it by just being around them, as students will be less likely to deface something knowing they are being watched. CHS admin should give students detention and if an offense is repeated, the student should have further consequences such as getting a phone call home and a meeting with the student’s parents.

This year instead of not doing anything CHS should put up decorations around the campus where there is always supervision. They could put tiny or medium-sized pride flags around along with also putting up tinsel. It would be amazing to still be able to celebrate Pride Month.