-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Two coyote sophomores recognized as PETA heroes

Photo Creds to PETA2; McMorris (far left) and Fine (far right)

Two CHS sophomores, Tomer Fine and Noelle McNorris, received “The Hero to Animals Award” on December 11 for their contribution toward the addition of vegan options for Calabasas’ cafeteria menu. 

Handed out by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA), “The Hero to Animals Award” is given to citizens who display exceptional treatment towards animals. 

Fine and McMorris, co-presidents of Students Opposing Speciesism (SOS), a club collaborating with PETA, introduced the club to Calabasas High. The two knew exactly what they wanted: to improve the lives of animals by advocating and fundraising for them. The club did just that, raising money for animal advocacy through different methods. 

“Along with the rest of our club, we’ve raised a lot of money for different animal sanctuaries. We hosted different bake sales and we had leafleting things,” Fine said. 

The co-presidents furthered their initiative of animal advocacy by proposing vegan options in the Calabasas cafeteria. They contacted several members of LVUSD’s nutrition department and even reached out to superintendent Dr. Daniel Stepenosky. 

“We finally got in contact with [a nutrition department member] and she actually came to Calabasas to sample different vegan items with us,” said Fine. “Then we were able to work out a menu that worked for everyone. Now, that menu is being used five days a week.” 

The two were excited to be named “Heroes to the Animals”, as they were eager to help further share the ability of providing vegan options to students. 

“Getting the award was a really interesting experience,” McMorris chimes in. “I’d say the most amazing part was obviously getting to share these vegan options and then getting the award. Having that kind of publicity actually helped more people know about the vegan options.”

Fine and McMorris are honored to have received the award, but they don’t plan to stop here. The two intend on continuing to make a difference for animals, and even hope to expand to other school campuses. 

“We want to maybe even go to different high schools and make sure that they have vegan options because we were able to do it here,” said Fine. I’m really glad that we were able to make a difference, even if it’s just a small difference.”