-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Poor facilities delay blood drive, damages turnout

Hannah Sarnoff

The lack of sufficient heating in the MPR forced ASB to delay and relocate the Feb. 7 blood drive, worsening the already-expected low turnout. 

The drive, in partnership with the Red Cross, was set up by ASB Club and Community Outreach Commissioners Gia Parker and Sean Cooper with the assistance of ASB Advisor Kelly Ortiz. 

“ASB members advertise the blood drive 2-3 weeks in advance. Students sign up with a QR code and schedule a time throughout the day,” said Ortiz “Then I send out the timesheet with the appointments to teachers so they know when students are going to go and show up for their scheduled times.”

ASB had previously expected a low turnout to the drive due to a lack of participation in them throughout all high schools. In an unforeseen issue with the location of the drive, however, the drive was delayed by over three hours, relocating the drive from the MPR to the dance room. The move posed a further detriment to student turnout. 

“When we were set up, it was too cold to have the blood drive and so we had to move rooms. By the time we had to move rooms we weren’t set up and ready to go until 12,” said Ortiz. “We were supposed to start at 8:30. That’s why we had such a low turnout.”

Although there was a low number of appointments, many students tried to do a walk-in donation, but not all students could. Students that made appointments in advance had to be honored, and with the delay, there wasn’t enough time to accept all walk-in donors. 

“The turnout was for sure impacted by the relocation. We actually had to stop taking walk-ins because we had to go with the kids who signed up first,” said Ortiz.  “We didn’t have time to take in all the kids that walked in instead of doing an appointment.” 

The relocation was also inconvenient for the schedules of students, some of whom were unable to make their appointments due to the timing delay. 

“Relocating pushed back the timing. Not as many kids were able to donate. Some people who had appointments left because they had a free 6th period,” said Parker. 

Even with the hiccups throughout the blood drive, the turnout wasn’t far off from what was anticipated. 

“The turnout was as expected. We had more people than last time. There were a good number of students that met the height, weight, and age requirements. In total we had 23 donors,” says Parker. 

During the drive, one takeaway was the kindness of the Red Cross employees.  

“Everyone was very nice and cautious with the needles. The staff would give us warnings before each step and were very kind,” said donor and senior Maxwell Fogg. 

To those who donated, the Red Cross gave food such as donuts, along with a t-shirt and a $20 amazon gift card. This helps to convince students to participate. 

“The incentives definitely make a difference. Donating blood is great but the students get excited by incentives. Although, no matter the students’ intentions, it’s going to a good cause,” said Parker. 

As there’s another blood drive approaching on April 24th, ASB and Red Cross hope for more continuing success.

“There’s nothing to lose from donating. It’s charity. There’s no reason not to. You can help out by giving some blood and it takes only 20 minutes,” said Fogg. “And you get free donuts.”