-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Admin cracks down on Senior lot parking violations

Callum Holt

In response to the recent influx of CHS students parking in senior lot spots that are not registered in their name, CHS administrators have tightened their grip.

“We have had an increase in cars parking in the senior lot without passes and students parking in visitor spots,” said Assistant Principal of Student Safety, Facilities, & Athletics Tyler Lee via a recent Parent Square message. “Starting [February 21st], the tow company will be coming every morning to tow cars that do not have a parking pass.”

For students who may need help with others parking in their space,  they are allowed to park in another spot so long as they display their pass.

“If someone was in your spot and you are not in your own spot, it is okay as long as your pass is displayed,” said Lee via Parent Square. 

In his Parent Square message, Lee left a note for juniors specifically, mentioning that juniors parking in senior spots without a pass, will be denied a senior spot next year. 

“Juniors – we have been writing down license plates of cars without passes in the senior lot, visitor spots, and staff lot,” said Lee via ParentSquare. “If your license plate is on this list when you go to purchase a senior lot pass next year, you will be denied a pass.”

Numerous students have been affected by individuals parking in their spots multiple times. Senior Samatha Radfar, for example, reported having individuals parked in her spot on at least four different occasions which ultimately has affected her education. 

“I usually get to school at a normal time, around 8:30 am, and sometimes there is someone in my spot. As a result, I’d be late to class because I have to go up and tell the administrators that someone parked in my spot. Then I have to log it on a QR code, taking up even more class time,” said Radfar. “This has happened four or five times this year.”

“I’ve had juniors in my spot around 2-3 times. I wish my fellow students would think about how their choices and behavior affect other students,” added Senior Dani Kirsch

Some students are frustrated with the lack of underclassmen parking, claiming the lack of parking often puts them in situations where they have no choice but to park in the senior parking lot. 

“I believe it’s because a lot of kids live further away, so they’ll have to leave their house at 7 am. If they don’t get a spot on Mulholland by 7:30, they’ll have nowhere to park and therefore can’t get to school,” said CHS Junior Alexa Stoner. “They’re left with no choice but to park in a senior spot.”

“There is no junior parking. There’s parking on the street, there’s just no junior parking,” said junior Delaney Grayson. “In order to get a good spot, and to leave without intense traffic I get to school an hour and a half early. It’s a little frustrating, I understand the circumstances, but it just isn’t fun.”

Although the issue of unauthorized parking may seem like a student-to-student issue, this may just be the tip of the iceberg. Radfar claims the issue may stem from a deeper community-wide issue, as a result of uninformed community members making genuine mistakes. 

“Majority of the time it’s honestly parents, if there’s a meeting, play or tour. One time there were fence workers from the property below,” said Radfar. “A lot of the time, it’s people that don’t know not to park there”

When asked how many vehicles have been towed and how many license plates have been recorded, Lee responded that there have been numerous instances and that following the parking rules will be vital to keeping these numbers as low as possible. 

“Sadly, too many [cars have been towed and license plates have been recorded],” said Lee. “I would appreciate the rules being followed, then the number would be at zero.”