-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Opinion: The U.S. needs to do more diplomatically for Israel

https://www.ynetnews.com/article/r10mpmw1h

Due to the Israel-Hamas war, many Americans are left wondering: is the United States doing enough to support Israel?

As it stands, the U.S. supports Israel monetarily, with weapons and military support. However, right now, the U.S. should use diplomacy to aid Israel. This type of help should persist through tackling the issues’ root as opposed to its symptoms. In addition to helping Israel defend itself in the present, the U.S. needs to help Israel become stronger through a more proactive approach.

The U.S. is Israel’s closest ally, meaning the U.S. needs to provide an overwhelming amount of support against Hamas. More specifically, the U.S. should help Israel create a stronger government so that the country can better defend itself against attacks such as these. By having a more unified government, Israel would be able to fend off any potential threats. This would also hopefully deter groups like Hamas from antagonizing Israel as the country would be more apparently powerful.

With this, it is also necessary for the U.S. to help Israel move toward a peaceful resolution, primarily by preventing the conflict from spreading to the West Bank. This would minimize the number of civilian casualties while also lowering the chances of related violent outbreaks occurring. This is all the more pressing as two-thirds of Americans responded at least somewhat to the question How worried are you that the fighting between Israel and Hamas will lead to terrorism in the US? in a CNN poll.

While these are incredibly difficult things to accomplish, the first step toward doing so would be to limit conflicts within the U.S. government itself. When Republican presidential candidates are baselessly blaming Hamas’ actions on their own government’s exchange of $6 billion with Iran for five American detainees, it becomes clear that political differences need to be put on hold to remove all distractions from the issue at hand: helping Israel.

Despite what is currently being done with President Biden’s visit to and express support for Israel as well as recent congressional limitations without a speaker of the House, the U.S. needs to better diplomatically support Israel. To achieve a peaceful resolution, as Israel’s closest ally, the U.S. needs to unify politically in order to prevent the violence from spreading and to help Israel be prepared for future conflicts.