-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

An open letter to CHS Administration

ID scanners cause more problems than they solve
Caitlin Brockenbrow

In light of the recent addition of the scanners as a prerequisite for going off-campus, many have complained about the various inhibitions the scanners bring. Here is an argument as to why, for both the school and the students, the scanners should be abandoned. 

While on a theoretical basis, the scanners do a great job of ensuring campus security and preventing students from sneaking off without an off-campus pass, the practical effect was lost as it is an extreme bottleneck that renders the possibility of going off-campus and returning on time essentially obsolete. This is problematic for three main reasons:

Mental Health 

Going off-campus with friends at lunch provides a vital mental break for students to reinvigorate their focus and briefly relax before focusing back in for the afternoon classes and post-school studying. Due to the scanning system and subsequent difficulties getting off campus compounded with the stress of finals week and college decisions, many students I know have been experiencing increased stress. Recently, this school has done an excellent job of promoting mental health awareness for students through bringing service animals. Removing off-campus difficulties by abandoning the scanner system would be a significantly less capital-intensive and more effective way of continuing this commitment.

Problematic Incentivization Structure 

With a more difficult system of leaving and re-entering campus, students are likely to be tardy to their fifth and sixth period class. As a student who has zero tardies across all four years of high school, I value getting to class on time, yet it is extremely difficult to do so with the time lost to the scanner system. This not only disrupts teachers, but creates the following loop; students will get more tardies, which will result in students losing their off-campus pass, which will result in both more complaints to the administration and also increased absences. I would never do this, but I know many students who have said they will simply use early-leave to go home and miss periods to allow themselves to go off-campus. More absences equals a loss of money for the school, which leads to my third point.

Money, Money, Money

Not only does the increase in absences result in a loss of money, but the inevitable student resistance to the scanner system results in a need for more security guards. Labor is expensive, especially in California, and these guards could be used for much more important purposes to increase the efficiency of school spending.

Demonstrated Failure

In the short lifespan of the ID Scanner’s testing, numerous logistical problems plagued the system, leading to a swift abandonment from the administration. These problems are indicative of the fact that the system itself is flawed—and must be abandoned rather than endlessly attempted to be remedied.

Solution

The school has already bought the scanners and they are extremely effective for security, so I suggest that requiring a scan be kept for students entering campus but removed for students exiting campus. 

Entering campus is the primary security concern, and it is also much less of a bottleneck because of the scattered distribution of student arrival time. This would ensure that the system is utilized purposefully, maximize campus security, and create positive benefits for the campus environment as a whole. It’s a win, win, win.

I understand that the administration considers factors in the decision with much more information available than just a student like me and that the decision is possibly influenced by district officials; as a result, it is possible that the administration is being scapegoated for something out of their control. However, I hope the administration can understand an outsider’s perspective and reconsider the implementation of the scanners in order to ensure a more positive experience for both students and faculty. 

Sincerely,

Zachary Davis 

CHS Class of ’24