-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Coyote football crushes home opener

Photo rights belong to Elijah Hernandez

CHS varsity football beat Oak Park High School 48-28 during their first home game of the season last Friday. Senior Wide Receiver and Colorado commit, Aaron Butler, led the offensive attack, catching 8 passes for 255 yards and 2 touchdowns. 

Calabasas recovered from a fumble at their own 20-yard line late into the first quarter, and Senior Quarterback, Alonzo Contreras, established the first lead of the game by connecting with Butler, pulling off an 88-yard touchdown just a minute later. 

“Getting the ball to one of the top athletes in the country, he’s gonna go do what he does,” said Contreras. “We went into that game with the right mentality, like we were gonna take everything we wanted, and we did.”

Senior Running Back, Josh Nazmiyev, scored another touchdown for the Coyotes, furthering Calabasas’s momentum. However, Oak Park would score on the next two following drives, tying the score at the end of the first half at 14-14. 

“Josh is a great runner. Every time you put the ball into his hands, he can make something happen,” commented Contreras.

However, Nazmiyev wasn’t just impactful on the offensive end. Nazmiyev collected 12 tackles, exceeding anyone else on the team, and finished the game in style with a pick 6 that started from inside his own 10-yard line. 

“It was mostly because I knew where the entire defense was going,” said Nazmiyev. “We watched a lot of film, and the way our linebackers played made my job much easier as a [defensive back].”

The Coyotes are hoping to replicate the team effort demonstrated this upcoming Friday against the Kapolei Hurricanes, who are coming here for their only game outside Hawaii.