-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Agoura Chargers defeat Coyotes by a single point

True Fisher-Duddy

On Friday night, the Calabasas Coyotes took on the Agoura Chargers and lost 54-53 with a missed field goal kick. The offense was led by Quarterback Alonzo Contreras who had 399 total yards and 4 touchdowns.

The contributions made in the rushing attack by senior running back, Caleb Yang, with 78 yards and 2 touchdowns, along with an 81-yard kick returned for a touchdown, helped Coyotes in the beginning of the game.

“You know it’s mutual,” said Yang. “If the rushing attack is successful the passing attack will be as well.”

Calabasas wide receivers fulfilled their roles with junior receiver, Arion Lang, catching 9 passes for 163 yards and a touchdown. Senior receiver, Aaron Butler, also had a great game with 5 receptions for 106 yards and a touchdown.

At halftime, the Coyotes led after Contreras threw a touchdown to receiver Adam Geukins, right as time expired in the second quarter. The team wound up missing the extra point, making the score 27-21 Coyotes.

By the second half’s end, the Coyotes were up 47-41 with 59 seconds remaining. Until Agoura receiver, Miles Hull, scored his 3rd touchdown of the night to tie up the game with 12 seconds remaining. 

The game looked to be over, with the Chargers’ special teams unit coming on the field to kick the extra point to seal the game. The Coyotes blocked the extra point, sending the game into overtime.

During overtime, the Chargers struck first, scoring 7. Then, in return, Yang bullied his way in for a coyote touchdown, a game-tying play. Calabasas kicker came in for the extra point and missed. The game was over, and Calabasas was defeated 54-53. 

Calabasas Coyotes have a bye week, but on September 22nd, they will face the YellowJackets at Oxnard High School.