-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

CHS winter sports preview

Caitlin Brockenbrow

As the Winter season approaches, so do its sports. Boys’ and girls’ basketball, boys’ and girls’ soccer, girls’ water polo, and wrestling are all looking to make an impact, with teams either seeking to improve their performance or continue their dominance.

Boys’ Basketball

Last year, varsity boys’ basketball went 18-12, a solid season that ended in a short playoff run. This year, they are experiencing their hottest start to a season in a decade, winning their first six games and the West Valley Tip-Off Tournament, an impressive feat for the team. Nearly the entire varsity team graduated last year, leaving a set of new and fresh faces to take up the varsity helm.

“We have a lot of depth this year,” said assistant coach Matt Gruskin. “Guys that can come in and do the job for the person in front of them. We’re just playing a really nice brand of basketball.”

Calabasas will look to continue their hot streak against Capistrano Valley High School on Dec. 5.

Girls’ Basketball

Girls’ basketball had another great season last year, going 21-8 and making it to the 2nd round of the playoffs. In her second year leading the varsity team, head coach Destiny Melton wants to focus on the basics, avoid rushing anything, and continue their success.

“I think we could win league,” said Melton. “I think if we do what we’re supposed to, we win league, and right now, the biggest goal is to focus on league and take that game by game.”

They currently stand at 0-3, and their next game will be against Village Christian tomorrow at 3:00.

Boys’ Soccer

Boys’ soccer disappointed last season, going 4-11-3 overall and 2-7-1 in league, resulting in last place in the Marmonte League. However, the team’s chemistry has been growing more through practice, and they see better prospects over the horizon.

“Our practices look better, and personally, I’ve been training more,” said sophomore Liam Guedalia. “With hard effort and the team we have, we could definitely win CIF.” 

Last night, they started their season off with a tie against El Camino Real. They will play Taft High School on Dec. 6.

Girls’ Soccer

Girls’ soccer heads into the next season with heaps of enthusiasm. For the first time since 2012, the team avoided a losing season, going 7-7-6 and coming up just short of making the CIF playoffs. 

“I think that we had a pretty strong preseason training, so I hope that we would be able to make it to CIF this year,” said senior Lyla Fronk. “Everything’s been put into place for us to succeed, and the requirements for the varsity standard have been raised.” 

Last season, girls’ soccer tryouts started late in the year, leaving little time for the team to prepare and connect with each other, but this year, they’ve had ample time to become a much better squad. Along with the fact that most of the varsity squad are returning members from last year, the team looks to regain its once respectable status.

“We’re going to be able to read each other’s plays, so on the field, we’ll make those connections, score more goals, and win more games,” said Fronk. “We have a pretty strong team, and my expectations are high, so I think we’ll be strong this season.”

Their first game of the season came last night in a commanding 4-2 win against Taft High School. They will play San Marcos tonight.

Girls’ Water Polo

Girls water polo went 12-10 last year without a league win, but they had an incredibly strong start, winning four out of their first five games and scoring at least ten goals in each win. This year, girls’ water polo has managed to start their season by replicating that, and although their season last year ended early in the playoffs, there’s a large amount of optimism that this year will be different.

“We keep growing the team and getting better,” said sophomore Ruby Mankowski. “We practice six days a week, and we all know each other better than our own family.”

They will play against Beverly Hills High School on Dec. 5th. for their next game of the season.

Wrestling

Wrestling went 1-3 last season, with their only league win coming against Agoura. Coach Charlie Lind is entering his first year as CHS’s varsity wrestling coach, and despite having been with the team for mere months, he has high hopes for the future. 

“For about four or five kids on the team, I’m definitely not counting out the opportunity to go to individual state in Bakersfield,” said Coach Lind. “I think by the end of this year, it will be made fairly apparent that we’re certainly on the path towards [winning at state] if not already there. We’re ready to take on anyone.” 

Wrestling will start their season on Dec. 21. against Westlake.