-22855 Mulholland Hwy. Calabasas, CA 91302-

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Calabasas Courier Online

Israel-Hamas War: Here is the latest

Samar Abu Elouf for The New York Times

The death toll from Israel has reached 1,400, making it the deadliest attack in the country’s history. The IDF believes 199 people were taken as hostages by Hamas. The Palestinian Ministry of Health said that 2,808 people have been killed in the Gaza attacks. They also have reported 10,850 wounded.

As the IDF intensifies its resistance, Biden warns that occupying Gaza would be “a mistake.” The IDF’s recent airstrike on Gaza killed five people and injured fifteen. Not only has the Israel military response been affecting Palestinians, but with Israel shutting off Gaza’s water supply, WHO warns of a public health crisis.

According to reporting done by the New York Times, there continues to be confusion at the Gaza-Egypt border. In the early morning of Monday, October 16, the U.S. embassy of Jerusalem sent an email to US citizens trapped in Gaza to head to the border, hoping Egypt would offer an escape. However, the border between Gaza and Egypt has remained closed, leaving the Americans to try to find other ways to leave. Currently, 27 U.S. citizens have been killed in the conflict, and 14 remain missing.

Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan of Turkey talked on the phone with Hamas leaders about the potential release of hostages. However, Hamas themselves have not denied or commented on the statement, according to CBS News. 

In the U.S., rallies in support of Israel and Palestine have occurred over the states. Just this weekend in Illinois, a 71-year-old landlord murdered a 6-year-old Palestinian-American boy in an attack motivated by the landlord’s hatred of Muslims and Palestinians.

Biden has announced he will visit Israel on Wednesday; since being invited by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Biden has expressed interest in going to the war-stricken country, reports CNN. It is believed Biden will discuss humanitarian aid for Israel and Gaza.